These beauties were light and soft. The vanilla flavour really enchanted the pears! Financiers are a type of French little cakes with, as the main ingredient, ground almonds. They are in the shape of an ingot, which is where they got their name from. I like them plain or with berries or chocolate. The combination of pears, vanilla and almonds was really a winner. I used rice flour, which made them naturally gluten-free, and also gave them a perfect texture. I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as I did!
I took a book at the library, called the Chopra Centre Cookbook, which features beautiful healthy recipes. In the first section there was a chapter in which they gave 7 precepts to follow for a diet that helps you get greater mental and physical well being. I found them very inspiring and would like to share them with you:
1. Eat a wide variety of foods during the day
2. Listen to your body’s signals of hunger and satiety
3. Use food to fill the emptiness in your stomach, not your heart
4. If a meal isn’t delicious, it isn’t nourishing you
5. Favour foods that are natural and vital
6. Use herbs and spices liberally as both flavour and health enhancers
7. Eat with awareness
Have a lovely weekend!
Pear & Vanilla Financiers – makes 9 small cakes
• 3 egg whites, beaten
• 40g rice flour
• 100g ground almonds
• 6tbsp agave syrup
• 90g unsalted butter
• A pinch of salt
• 1tbsp vanilla extract
• The seeds of 1 vanilla pod
• 1 pear, peeled and sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Once melted, leave to cool for a few moments and add the agave syrup and vanilla extract.
3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, almonds, salt and vanilla seeds. Add the eggs and the butter mix. Mix well.
4. Spoon into 9 financier (or little cakes) dish. Place a slice of pear on top of each cake.
5. Pop in the oven for 20-25min until cooked through. Leave to cool down for a bit before unmolding. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Financiers Poire-Vanille – pour environ 9 financiers
• 3 blancs d’œufs, battus
• 40g de farine de riz
• 100g de poudre d’amandes
• 6cs de sirop d’agave
• 90g de beurre non salé
• Une pincée de sel
• 1cs d’extrait de vanille
• Les graines d’une gousse de vanille
• 1 poire, pelée et coupée en tranches
1. Préchauffer le four à 180°C.
2. Faire fondre le beurre dans une petite casserole. Une fois fondu, le laisser refroidir quelques instants, puis ajouter le sirop d’agave et l’extrait de vanille.
3. Dans un grand bol, mélanger la farine, l’amande, le sel et les graines de vanille. Ajouter les œufs, puis le beurre. Bien mélanger.
4. Verser le mélange dans 9 moules à financier. Mettre une tranche de poire sur le dessus de chaque gâteau.
5. Mettre au four pour 20-25min. Laisser refroidir un peu avant de démouler. Finir de refroidir sur une grille. Déguster !